- 01 - 04 Apr 2022
Exploring the Gardens of Central Otago
Come join Jo McCarroll, Editor NZ Gardener and multi-award winning photographer Lesley Whyte on our first small group gardening tour of 2022 – we reckon, you’ll not be disappointed!
We will be visiting some of the region’s most recognised and acclaimed gardens across the Queenstown and Wanaka areas in Autumn – just picture the stunning colours of the Autumn leaf fall.
You’ll meet the inspirational people who created these amazing gardens and have an opportunity wander around the gardens.
Experience five distinctly different gardens:
Clachanburn – The lawns and borders roll gracefully away from the house to two large ponds with rugged hills to one side and the distant mountains beyond, giving an impression of a lush oasis in the heat and dry of Central Otago. Here we experience a garden tour and lunch, maybe take home a little gift from Jane’s shop – the choice is yours!
Chantecler – This garden is for all seasons and is nestled in the heart of the Wakitipu Basin and surrounded by majestic snow covered mountains. Chantecler is a 40 acre property that includes 12 acres of mature gardens and has been “themed” to ensure visitors have a special experience.
Jenny & Arne Cleland – Not only is the design of Arne and Jenny Cleland’s Wanaka garden inspired by nature, but most of the plants in their garden have also been sourced from the wild. We’ll get to admire the graceful curves of the garden’s design and the way the light changes over the landscape with its views to Mt Gold, but what gives this eco-conscious couple the most satisfaction is that they’ve planted the garden almost completely with cuttings and plants grown from seed they’ve gathered themselves.
Jo Wakelin – Should we change the conditions in our gardens to suit the plants – or choose the plants to suit the conditions was the question facing Jo when she was developing her garden near Cromwell. This was the question facing me as I began my new garden near Cromwell in Central Otago nine years ago. Given the gravelly site and wild winds, changing the conditions was clearly outside her magic powers, Jo says and plenty of people thought she was mad. Jo’s garden has become a test ground for dry-loving plants from many parts of the globe, including New Zealand. It is now a case of how to find a spot for all of the amazing plants she wants to grow.
The Paddock – Originally a dry, arid, forgotten piece of glacial terrain. Now ‘The Paddock” has been transformed into a one-acre country-style garden. It is Blessed with a beautiful borrowed landscape of Mountains and hills for a backdrop.
Of course a visit to this region we had to add in tours of some of of our most favourite local wineries and a distillery.
From the time you board the coach in Queenstown on Friday morning until late Monday afternoon, apart from any personal purchases, your meals, entry fees, beautiful shared twin accommodation, luxury coach driven by our dedicated female driver is all included, plus of course the awesomely fun company of Jo and Lesley. Don’t forget to pack your swim gear as where we are staying has beautiful heated swimming pools, although not sure you’ll have time with the jam packed itinerary 💜
Check out what’s included:
- Two pick-up points: Millennium Hotel, Frankton Road & Queenstown Airport
- Four private hosted garden tours to awesomely amazing and diverse Central Otago gardens
- Fully cooked breakfasts Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- Exquisite lunch with wines & tour at Cardrona Distillery plus you’ll receive a gift from Cardrona Distillery
- Heavenly wine tasting experience and tour at Maude Wines plus you’ll receive a gift from Maude Wines
- Lunch on Sunday somewhere local, wines included
- A relaxing and casual lunch with wines at the beautiful Amisfield winery on Monday
- Sumptuous two course dinner with wines or maybe indulge in a beer at the beautiful iconic Cardrona Hotel on Saturday night
- Two course dinners with wines at local Wanaka restaurants on Friday and Sunday nights
- Provided by Over the Moon Dairy, enjoy after dinner cheese platter, bubbles and cocktails Friday, Saturday & Sunday evening
- Share twin room – Wanaka’s Oakridge Resort
- A room on your own is available at an additional $300 for the 3 nights – to be purchased in advance
- You’ll find a generous sized bag of old fashioned sweets on your seat when you board the coach courtesy of Sweet Bites
- Girls on the Road Again face mask
- Gorgeous Girls on the Road Again NZ made knee rug (valued at $110) to take home, a memento of an awesomely fun four days
- Invitation to join Girls on the Road Again’s closed FaceBook group where you can keep up with all the Girls on the Road news. post photos from your tour and meet other amazing girls who have been on some of our previous tours.
What’s not included:
- Travel to and from your home to join this awesome tour
- Travel insurance
- Spending of a a personal nature
- Drinks or meals not mentioned above.
Do you have any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 027 4747 347.
To secure your place, pay your $500 deposit, plus if you’re wanting to upgrade to a room of your own, also pay the supplement of $300 at the same time. An invoice will be provided closer to departure for you to pay the balance by credit card – payment due 21 days prior to departure.
- If you cancel any time up to 31 days prior to departure, the amount you’ve paid is refundable
- If you cancel between 21 – 31 days your $500 deposit is non refundable. Single room upgrade payment is refundable
- If you cancel 21 days or less, the amount you have paid is refundable only if we are able sell your seat.
Girls on the Road Again has the necessary protocols in place to operate under the the COVID-19 Protection Framework red, amber and green levels. For your safety, that of your fellow passengers and those leading leading Girls on the Road Again’s awesome tours, we are have robust processes in place to ensure that we can operate safely at red, amber and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework. Click here to know more about this policy and the requirements of you as a passenger.